Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V11 #20
From: "Robert Jones" <drrjones@flashcom.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:56:28 -0700

> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:07:31 -0400
> From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] BOKEH of 35mm lenses (prev.Reply to visitors
> ofmywebsite / Leica M comments)
>
> Mikirosan-
> Interesting post, that. I was wondering- and this goes back to my days when
> I studied the psychology of perception, that those lenses that have the same
> type of abberations as might be found in the human eye, might have the best
> 'perceived' bokeh?
> Do we have any optometrist out there that have studied the human eye lens as
> an image forming system? Does the brain 'correct' certain abberations, and
> lenes that render images similar to those 'corrected' by the occipital lobe
> appear more natural and pleasing? There might be a thesis in this!
> We use biology to design ergonomic machines all the time, and I was
> wondering if anyone has thought about designing a lenses that 'sees' similar
> to the way we 'see'- not just with the eyes, but with the brain's input as
> well.
> Dan

Dan,

You asked if an optometrist LUG member could contribute an answer. I'm an
ophthalmologist and while I cannot answer all of your questions regarding
the brain's correction of optical aberrations, perhaps I can give a partial
answer.

First off, the human cornea is naturally aspheric. Unfortunately it doesn't
remain so after many types of refractive surgery using today's lasers - the
software changes them to spherical shapes that generate more chromatic
aberrations. In fact, corneas that have undergone excimer laser surgery have
more distortion if the photo-ablated area is not properly centered on the
optical axis (this distortion is also affected by the pupil size). By
extrapolation, I would assume that an aspheric camera lens would show less
distortions with less aperture dependence. Now whether distortions are what
adds to one's bokeh I don't know. (Using a different perceptual analogy, the
human ear hears sounds with even order harmonics distortions like tube
amplifiers generate, which is possibly one reason why solid state amplifiers
that generate odd order harmonics sound less smooth or lush than a tubed
amplifier.)

As for brain processing, I don't think the brain corrects for any optical
distortions. It does process spatial information, such as depth and size
relationships, but I don't know of any particular 'circuitry' that minimizes
optical problems. As an example, there are various artists whom we now know
had various types of eye diseases ranging from severe astigmatism to media
opacities (cataracts, scarred corneas) who simply incorporated these
distortions into their art. One such theory is that El Greco's tall graceful
figures were due to his severe astigmatism and was not obviously corrected
by his brain (which apparently thought they looked OK).

Bob Jones
rjones4@home.com