Subject: [Leica] Re: back from Germany w/ film loading problems and travel
From: Peter Niessen <niessen@ifh.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:46:53 +0200 (METDST)

Dear all,

George Hartzell writes:

"One great feature of my Nikon N90s is
that it memorizes all of the exposure information, including focal
length, and I can download it into my pc/palm pilot.  Going back and
looking at the images and the info has been really helpful."

IMHO this is an unnecessary feature, for the following reasons:

One might argue that memorizing aperture and exporsure time is
sensible because you can adjust your development accordingly if
something went wrong. However, the camera does not record the ,,true''
light conditions, so you do not know if the chosen exposure value at
that time was right or wrong.

If you look at a picture, your eyes are pleased or displeased by the
arrangement of perspective, which is governed by the focal length. But
since in SLR photography you can preview this effect directly, it is
more beneficial to put this right in the beginning instead of going
back, develop, check the focal length, then say ,,Hm... I should take
this again with XXXmm''.

Although I never used one, I do not doubt that the Nikon N90 serves
its purpose very well. I am just amused by these features. There can
also be no doubt that, if Leica ever introduces something like this,
I'll praise it.

Cheers, Peter.