Subject: Re: [Leica] which inkjet photo paper?
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:55:40 -0600

Found a couple of lemons to be avoided if you use Epson's photo
printers:

Great White Glossy Photo Paper
Canon (?) transparency film

Prints on both look streaked, mottled and are sticky, like the surfaces
aren't properly absorbing Epson's inks. On the other hand, Epson SO41072
Glossy Film is looking very good indeed. No doubt about it; I do not
like the print quality at 720 DPI (not bad at an arm's length though,
but clearly computer-generated) but it'll do until I can add another 256
megabytes of RAM to the ole system. My inital experiments with Photoshop
masking have been very encouraging, but the tiny trackpad on my keyboard
isn't really ideal for the task, and I expect to add a good quality
mouse or graphics tablet in the future. As it is, the imprecise (and too
sharp!) edges of my mask make the photographic sleight of hand only too
obvious.

Monitor brightness settings remain a challenge, and I'll be attempting
to create a reference step tablet of sorts to facilitate quick visual
checks prior to each session. So far, I have not touched video card
settings, only monitor settings. Lacking any absolute standards for
calibration, I thought it wise to reduce the number of variables
involved.

Jeff