Subject: [Leica] Web Publishing BALONEY [no leica]
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:17:24 -0400

- --MS_Mac_OE_3018388644_374100_MIME_Part

Someone wrote this:    *warning- rant ahead*
>>About web publishing, I think it is almost impossible to protect pictures
>>published on whatever site. However, most people you meet on the web are
>>quite decent, and ask for permission before using pictures.

Both statements are not quite ACCURATE.
Some photos of mine were posted to a website four years ago (in low res 75
dpi). One or more of them (there were six) have been appropriated countless
times (I've LOST COUNT how many times I've found them being used without
permission elsewhere!). Some thieves even put THEIR names on them!!  arghh!
And they are not all 'nice' people either; when I've told them they are
using my photos without permission I've heard these gems:
"If it's on the web in one place it's okay to use anywhere, that's the law."
"So sue me."
"If you pay me $50.00 to remove it I will, otherwise it stays."

My best advice is to mark 'em like portrait guys did back in the old days;
"PROOF" stamped right across the forehead.
Digimark ('watermark' encryption within the data stream) can 'protect' your
images- won't keep 'em from being stolen, but everyone will know it's yours.
[Just ask and I'll tell you a little secret about Photoshop and the 'poor
mans' encryption.]

Someone else wrote:
>>That said, the copyright of an image belongs to the creator of the
>>image unless the rights are otherwise assigned (work for hire, transfer
>>of the copyright, etc.) and if you discover your work being used
>>without permission you have a cause of action in federal court.
And even someone else said >>if it's used in a banner ad you're gonna be
rich'.<<
I guess they aren't lawyers and haven't mounted a case in civil, county, or
FEDERAL court recently.
You won't get a penny, and probably won't get your court costs back either.
The thief can disappear easily (empty pocket syndrome) and the judges
usually give the defendant every out there is before you get your judgement-
even forcing 'mediation' on you!  It's a dead end street.  [Judges are doing
their fair share for moral decay.]
Big guys (deep pockets) are smart enough not to do dumb stuff and pilfer
images.
*rant off*

- --MS_Mac_OE_3018388644_374100_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Web Publishing BALONEY [no leica]</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Someone wrote this: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;*warning- rant ahe=
ad*<BR>
&gt;&gt;About web publishing, I think it is almost impossible to protect pi=
ctures<BR>
&gt;&gt;published on whatever site. However, most people you meet on the we=
b are<BR>
&gt;&gt;quite decent, and ask for permission before using pictures.<BR>
<BR>
Both statements are not quite ACCURATE.<BR>
Some photos of mine were posted to a website four years ago (in low res 75<=

dpi). One or more of them (there were six) have been appropriated countless=
<BR>
times (I've LOST COUNT how many times I've found them being used without<BR=

permission elsewhere!). Some thieves even put THEIR names on them!! &nbsp;a=
rghh!<BR>
And they are not all 'nice' people either; when I've told them they are<BR>
using my photos without permission I've heard these gems:<BR>
&quot;If it's on the web in one place it's okay to use anywhere, that's the=
 law.&quot;<BR>
&quot;So sue me.&quot;<BR>
&quot;If you pay me $50.00 to remove it I will, otherwise it stays.&quot;<B=

<BR>
My best advice is to mark 'em like portrait guys did back in the old days;<=

&quot;PROOF&quot; stamped right across the forehead. <BR>
Digimark ('watermark' encryption within the data stream) can 'protect' your=
 images- won't keep 'em from being stolen, but everyone will know it's yours=
. &nbsp;<BR>
[Just ask and I'll tell you a little secret about Photoshop and the 'poor m=
ans' encryption.]<BR>
<BR>
Someone else wrote:<BR>
&gt;&gt;That said, the copyright of an image belongs to the creator of the<=

&gt;&gt;image unless the rights are otherwise assigned (work for hire, tran=
sfer<BR>
&gt;&gt;of the copyright, etc.) and if you discover your work being used<BR=

&gt;&gt;without permission you have a cause of action in federal court.<BR>
And even someone else said &gt;&gt;if it's used in a banner ad you're gonna=
 be rich'.&lt;&lt;<BR>
I guess they aren't lawyers and haven't mounted a case in civil, county, or=
 FEDERAL court recently.<BR>
You won't get a penny, and probably won't get your court costs back either.=
 The thief can disappear easily (empty pocket syndrome) and the judges usual=
ly give the defendant every out there is before you get your judgement- even=
 forcing 'mediation' on you! &nbsp;It's a dead end street. &nbsp;[Judges are=
 doing their fair share for moral decay.]<BR>
Big guys (deep pockets) are smart enough not to do dumb stuff and pilfer im=
ages.<BR>
*rant off*<BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --MS_Mac_OE_3018388644_374100_MIME_Part--