Subject: [Leica] BIKE (w/Leica content)
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:34:37 -0400

In keeping with the manifesto to stay ON TOPIC:
Was riding my full Record, curly tail Hetchins last Thursday, my CL strapped
over my neck and on my back. [I've taken to the CL lately, it's a fine
little camera.]
My goal was to mail a letter at the Post Office about five miles away,
there's a little park just now opened up on the way, nice gazebo near the
highway. A photo op in the making.
But, on the way, there's a car fire- so I decide to get some images there.
I'm waiting for the cops and firemen to come, the car is spewing thick black
smoke in a plume of flame driven torrent. Everyone stands a respectable
fifty feet away, the Hollywood syndrome (exploding cars).
My LEICA goal is to get THE shot; right vantage point, right framing, right
exposure. I plan quickly where I should be when the action starts (wind
direction, traffic, spectators, focal length), it's all AUTOMATIC (don't
think, just do).
Turns out I'm on the sidewalk next to the doctors office where all the
workers have gravitated outside to watch (hey, it's a small town, this is
big news). While I wait an older fellow in lab coat walks up:
"Now that's a picture." he exclaims.  "What's a picture?" I ask.
"The Leica and that fantastic bike, you must be a man of good taste." he