Subject: [Leica] Battery Acid
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:29:05 -0000

Having Had  Near Death Experience on Aug. 11, Dr. Blacktape is looking for
some Lugthoughts...

A week ago this past Wednesday, while driving up Rt. 85 near Petersburg,
Va., with 16-year-old son and 7-year-old dog in RAV4 Dr. Blacktape managed
to briefly "nod off" at 4:30 in the afternoon and rolled aforementioned car
and contents. Son and Poodle escaped miraculously uscathed. Dr. Btps style
will be cramped for some months to come by a broken collar bone, five broken
ribs, a crushed thoracic vertebra, and the need for a polysomething and
what-not chest brace and neck collar....No permanent damage, however, again,
miraculously....

Laptop computer, M6, Nikon F, and lenses were in car when it did it's Maytag
spin cycle...a number 0f the Leica lenses were totally trashed, which, given
the circumstances, was to be expected....but...this is really weird...the 35
Summilux Titanium ASPH looks perfect - now that it's cleaned up, but for
surface splotches on the front element that look like nothing so much as
areas where the coating was removed...Could this have been caused by battery
acid? The body looks pretty good, although the bottom plate has an area
where the finish was lifted...Battery acid?...I'll be sending both the M6
and the Summilux to New Jersey for passport service, so we'll see what
really is and isn't covered...

As to the Nikon F---it's a bit muddy and bloody, but looks surprisingly
good...but the shade on the 105 2.5 is mashed beyond repair....

The lesson in all this is, of course, "Friends Don't Let Sleeping Friends
Drive!"

Meanwhile...two days before this disaster Dr.Blacktape's altered shot his
first job using a new Sekonic 508...Mortgage the house! Sell the children!
And get one. This was all Ilford XP2 Super shot under some pretty awful
lighting conditions - bright afternoon son / harsh shadows/out
doors...indoor stuff with dark rooms and bright window lighting....and
everything is right on...

Although...the one thing learned from this job is that I am no longer steady
enough to shoot the Nikon with a 105 or longer at under a 125th and rely on
getting a sharp neg...Not true, however, with the M...

Forgive the ramblings, spellings, etc., but at this point I'm very
overloaded on painkillers.....

Best to all...and I look forward to next Friday, as I may be in the market
for several lenses and a body..