Subject: Re: [Leica] Germany made or Canada made ?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:37:01 -0400

At 09:10 PM 8/23/1999 -0400, Dan Cardish wrote:
>I believe that historically, Leitz built the factory in Midland, Ontario,
>Canada, in order to avoid high tariffs on imports of their cameras into the
>US market after WW II.

Well, the tariffs weren't much of an issue -- US import tariffs on cameras
were as low from Germany as from Canada, I believe.

More to the point was that Canada wanted some of that great NATO gravy they
would be guaranteed if they had a world-class military-optics facility
in-country, gravy which would otherwise go to Zeiss or Wollensak or Zoomar
or SOM Berthiot or somesuch.  So, in 1954, Leitz was induced to open a
plant at Midland, Ontario.  I suspect the Canadian military helped fund at
least some of the construction costs but so far I've not found any
confirmation of this.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!