Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Monaghan the Clueless replies...
From: "Pete Su" <psu_test@jprc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:09:07 -0400

There seem to be a lot of "photographers" who like to belittle anyone who
doesn't work the same way they do.

I know how exposure meters work, and how to use the spot meter to nail
that exposure in tricky light on the first try. I know how to take several
minutes to painstakingly work out my depth of field, and focus manually
on the screen in just the right place.

I also know that in many situations, its just as easy, and as accuate for
me to point the AF sensor at the right thing and have the camera turn the
focus ring on the lens for me to get to exactly the same place. And I know
when I can point the matrix meter at the scene and have it set the shutter
speed for me, so I don't have to twirl the dial.

"Auto" does not mean "Lazy" or "Dumb" (or "inaccurate"), it just means
"Auto"... it means that you tell the machine to do for you what you would
have done anyway.

Now, lots of people use automatic systems without real understanding, but
just as many people use "manual" systems with just as little understanding.

Besides, all of this is just technique, and good technique is only 30%
of a good picture anyway.

Cheers,
Pete