Subject: Re: [Leica] Publish your Leica Photos
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:44:46 -0700

Hans Pahlen wrote:

> > What does MSN say about the copyright of the published pictures on their
> > servers, Hans?
> > I hope they are not transferring copyrights or usage of such images to
> > them!
>
> Well, I did not find that sort of info, I will try to find out.
> But anyway, as an amateur photographer, I really don't care too much, at
> least as long as the eventual publisher gives me credit for the picture. I
> still keep my pictures at
> www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/5799/
> and I moved most of my old site there, but I had to delete lots of things
> because of lack of space.
> When a picture is posted at the web, it is very hard to protect it anyway.
> But I am not too worried that anyone would use my pictures commercially.
> I saw that someone just had published a great picture of a lion at MSN. That
> is the sort of picture that could earn some money!
>
> Best,
> Hans
>
> NO ARCHIVE

You will care when some billion dollar company uses your image for it's new ad
campaign and MSN gets piles of cash which could be transferred into much
Leica-units in return!
The headline yesterday of my local paper  the "Oregonion" deals with the
crackdown on the pseudo crass approach to copyright until now gotten away with
on the internet. The coming of the internet is not going to turn into a good-by
for the concept of intellectual property. It will eventually be a boom for it.
Some kid it going to the big house for passing out other peoples hard worked
software to the masses. Breaks my little heart.
Mark Rabiner