Subject: Re: [Leica] Oktoberfest -- 4 weeks away (really off topic!)
From: Simon Stevens <simon@wizard.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 23:38:58 -0400

>Fashing, or Carnival, starts officially at the 11 day of the 11 month
>at 11
>O’clock

Er, no. Sorry Horst, but the various Fasching Fests that various towns
and cities in Germany celebrate are all in the early spring and far
predate any observance of the Armistice, which is the time you mention.
Germans, by the way, aren’t given to celebrating their own world war
defeats, strange as it might seem from a Commonwealth perspective :) .

Anyway, if you want to see Fasching, the best one I have seen is the
Rosemontag parade in Mainz and it shows the difference between Fasching
and other Fests in that the revellers traditionally dress up. The
costumes can be quite inventive but  I was always amazed that they often
took no account of the typically chilly weather at that time of year.
Thankfully, I was lucky enough to be able to view the parade from inside
a warm government building (the building housing the office of the
Minister President of the state of Rheinland Pfalz, to be exact.)

The downside of this arrangement was that I was working and so couldn’t
sample the beer. Speaking of which, I agree that the better Belgian
beers (especially the Trappiste ones) are wonderful and with the
exception of Stella Artois or Jupiler, they  are generally better than
the German ones - but I liked the Czech brews even better. A good
British Ale isn’t bad either (try Adnams Broadside, for one)  and for my
money I have yet to sample an American microbrewed beer that has even
come close, though they are getting better. One exception to the quality
of German beer is Eichbaum, which is brewed in Mannheim. It is horrible
and most American beers are better.

Prost!

Simon Stevens
Camera Craftsman