Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic - the Nikon F5
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:13:14 -0700

Michael Yuen wrote:

> I have been a Leica user for over 2 decades, with 2 M's and an R.  But when
> I tried the Nikon F5 in the store, I knew I want to own it.  It is such a
> well designed piece of equipment for taking pictures.  The feel of the
> camera in my hands was amazing.  No wonder it is a favorite camera for so
> many pro's. Compared to the Leica R8, the F5 is light years ahead.  As far
> as optics go,  several Nikor lenses are legendary in particular: the 24
> f2.8, 85 f1.8 and 105 f2.5.  The 24 f2.8 is even better than the Leica's.
>
> -Michael

I have owned the 24 2.8 Nikkor and have been saving up for the 24 2.8 the Leica
M to complete my Leica system which has completely outclassed the Nikons I had
used in my twenty year career- which is why I am here on this list.
From everything I can gather the 24M should be worth it's considerable cost.
You however seem to have information to the contrary!
Please clue me in on my Nikor lens already being better than my future Leica
version of the same focal lengh!
Have you seen the results form both? Have them both? Read other reports?
Mark Rabiner