Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 and underexposed flash results
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:53:37 EDT

Pascal writes:

<< I am always working in Program mode on the R8 (lens on smallest f-stop,
 >shutter time dial on 30 P, flash in TTL mode). Never ventured into the
 >more elaborate A mode with flash. I am sure than I am within maximum
 >flash range for the respective flash. >>

I know nothing of Metz or Leica R flash systems, but Nikons flash a warning
both on the strobe and in the viewfinder if the flash maxes out and the meter
senses underexposure.  As a matter of fact, non-dedicated flashes like the
Vivitars or Sunpak 383 (which I use with my M's)  have an underexposure
warning light.  If there isn't such a warning with the Metz/Leica combo or it
didn't indicate underexposure, and if you are certain you didn't outdistance
the flash, and your subjects were not more than about 1 stop lighter than
middle-tone, I would start to suspect mis-communication between the flash and
camera.  This could be due to a malfunction of one or both.  You *might* have
had a "-" compensation inadvertently set, but again if the strobe and/or
camera has an over/under-exposure warning it should have come on.
On cameras that have "fancy flash" such as my F5, I prefer to work in Manual
mode with flash.  That lets me vary the shutter speed, aperture and flash
levels to my specific needs.  No matter how smart the systems are I hate
waiting until the film is processed to find out what settings the camera
picked for me, particularly with flash because it's all done while the
shutter is open with no indication in the finder of what's being done.

DT