Subject: RES: [Leica] A little off topic: Brazil
From: "Bruno Manzoli Caruso" <ita@zaz.com.br>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:08:59 -0300

I'm Brazilian and I live in São Paulo. I'm a Leica M user and I always have
one M6 body + lens with me. I have all my Leica equipment insured (4 M
bodies + 7 lenses), just in case. The safety problem in São Paulo is similar
to the other big cities like, New York, Miami, Milan, etc.. You have to
avoid dangerous places in the city and this information you can get at the
hotel. The same recommendation is valid for Rio de Janeiro, Salvador or
Recife. Traveling light is the best advice in Brazil especially in São Paulo
and/or Rio. If I would come to São Paulo I would take 2 of my M6 bodies and
3/4 lenses. I would stay in a good hotel and I would go out with one body +
2 lenses in a very low profile small bag (don't use a big photographer's
bag). The other body and lenses I would leave in a safety box at the hotel
(don't leave the equipment in the room). My small low profile bag is a Black
Lowe Pro "Nova 1". I don't recommend using a big SLR cameras (Leica R8,
Nikon F5, etc..) been in a low profile style is better.

I would like your opinions:  I am a certified flight nurse, and I have a
nurse escort flight to Brazil next week.  I would really like to take either
the R8 or M6 with me; however, I just don't know how safe my equipment would
be in Brazil.  I have been there before but only with a P/S outfit.  Any
comments would be greatly appreciated.
Skip Converse