Subject: [Leica] The Perfect Outfit
From: Jay Coleman <jcoleman@interport.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:57:19 -0400

Andre:

 Thank you for your considered and thorough response to my post.  I
appreciate your opinions on each lens as well as on system choice.

>>I think you'll survive with your present three bodies
        for another 6 months and catch your breath:
        be careful, as this is a turning point time for
        Leica R system strategy. You're likely to get
        an extra R8 at a very good price. You're more than likely
        to see a Leica R8.2, perhaps a Leica R9 emerge quite soon.
        Where's the rush ?<<

No rush.  This is a long term plan, to be implemented over several
years.  I agree that a new Leica R body may emerge soon and am inclined
to wait for it.  But it will be expensive when it arrives so I might be
better off getting a good deal on the R8 which I like a lot.

I also appreciate your comments on the 28 PC.  I have considered this
lens but think it is too specialized.  There are those, however,
(Frances Schultz who writes for Shutterbug comes to mind) who use a PC
lens as one of their standard lenses.

>>An EXTRA CONSERVATIVE approach:

        1/ exchange the R 35/2 for a low range R zoom
        2/ get either the current R 19mm OR M 24mm asph
        to add immediate ultra-wide capability to your photo bag.

        ADD a 6 month "wait & see" for new models to emerge
        especially where Leica camera bodies are concerned . . ..<<

This is more along the lines of what I had in mind for the near future.
While I think the 70-180/2.8 is a great lens and I would like to have
one, it is also the cost (even used) of two or three of the other lenses
I am considering.

>> You seem to be very rich: go for it.<<

Not really.  I'm not sure exactly why my post triggered this response
(as you have seen, you are not the only one with this response, but are
one of the nicest about it).  Many others on this list have more
extensive and expensive systems, not to mention Land Rovers, Rolexes,
etc.  I certainly did not intend to give that impression.  My list was a
"wish list" to be purchased over time, not tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Jay