Subject: Re: [Leica] The Perfect Outfit
From: Andre Jean Quintal <jupiter@abacom.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:13:00 -0400

At 14:31 -0400 18/08/99, TSL wrote:
>>Ladies and Gentlemen:
. . .
I am considering getting a wide angle and cannot
>decide between the 21/2.8 Asph. for the M and the (new style) 19/2.8 for
>the R.  I am also considering replacing the 35/2 R with the new
>35-70/4.  For the R, I also want an 80/1.4 (I had one and foolishly sold
>it), a 35/1.4 and also the new 50/1.4 (but I think I'll wait for it to
>appear used).  I also eventually want a 70-180/2.8 APO and a 2X APO
>converter for the R.  For the M, the 35/1.4 Asph. and the 90/2 Asph.  I
>also want another M body and probably another R8 (or successor) instead
>of the SL.
>>Jay Coleman

	--> I'll answer you with a "system strategy" approach
	and a "future collector's dream outfit" attitude.

1/ ultra wide :   R 19mm / 2.8
	this is a natural application of SLR technology
	NOT a negative towards the 21mm ASPH M.

2/ super wide: M 24mm ASPH per Erwin Puts' comments

3/ M 35mm / 1.4 asph to replace a 35mm / 2 asph does not seem
	to bring in that much more, considering you have
	both 'M' and 'R' systems. WAIT a year ot two
	to THEN upgrade your overall system with an
	eventual 35mm f/1.2 asph or next generation f/1.4 asph.
	For the time being, since you have both systems,
	you have a stealthier + lighter M / 35mm f2 asph,
	which certainly has to be the gist of Leica 'M' photography.

4/ M 90 / 2 asph VS 90 / 2.8
	You seem to be very rich: go for it.
	Don't forget: it's a MUCH heavier lens
	and you already have the reference 100mm f/2.8 apo . . .
	As for me, I'd tend to get the M 75mm f/1.4
	and keep the 90mm f/2.8. Your move.

5/ R 80 / f/1.4
	My preceeding comments may undermine this decision.
	If you don't get a M 75mm / f/1.4, considering
	you liked it much before, it makes sense.
	BUT the 75mm M may grab a lot of your
	photo shoot time.
	This move is a contender for a "wait and see"
	or "back-burner" till November.
	I'd rather go for the 70-180mm apo zoom
	where you'd get zoom flexibility and optical excellence
	that may render a 80mm monofocal less appealing
	in photo shoot context.

6/ 2x APO
	go for it.

7/ R 35mm / f/1.4
	You already have a 35mm f/2 R.
	Your system has two weaknesses:
	no perpective control capability, no 28mm.
	Would you not rather consider the special purpose PC 28mm,
	or even the current 28mm R ?
	Note that I have suggested you get a M 24mm asph
	as it is considered the reference ultra-wide
	and a most useful focal.
	Again, I'd wait this decision out 6 months to a year:
	many surprises are coming our way in the next year.
	Further: exchanging the R 35 / 2 for a R 35-70 (+ macro)
	f/4 makes your system more flexible in photo shoot context.
	I expect a new model in the 28-70 or 28-90 range
	and, since you are so incredibly well equipped already,
	you should give yourself some breathing room
	and grant yourself a "wild card" move a few months
	down the road when you may lay your hands on some
	deal or, very likely, a next generation zoom.

8/ R 50 / f/1.4 (new edition):
	You already have a M 50 / 2 Summicron ( a reference).
	Would you not rather consider the Noctilux ?
	AND maximize that NEW ' R ' low range zoom
	even for the 50mm applications ?
	Again, this is a situation that should call for
	a respite and a "wait and see" attitude
	for new Leica goodies coming our way,
	since you are more than well equipped to meet
	such a purpose with your present equipment.

9/ Extra R body.
	Note that you'll have zooms at your disposal.
	The 70-180 apo should be priority
	as it more than likely will bring owner satisfaction
	and photo flexibility to your ' R ' side of things.
	You already have M wide-angle capability,
	which could be further enhanced with a 24mm asph.  . . .
	I'd have you consider the R 28 mm or R PC 28 mm, too.
	I think you'll survive with your present three bodies
	for another 6 months and catch your breath:
	be careful, as this is a turning point time for
	Leica R system strategy. You're likely to get
	an extra R8 at a very good price. You're more than likely
	to see a Leica R8.2, perhaps a Leica R9 emerge quite soon.
	Where's the rush ?

10/ Your system's high range telephoto capability is non-existent.
	Considering your exceptional budget,
	and the possibility to wait good opportunities
	for a few months, and emerging optical technologies,
	if you have the least interest in the 350 to 500 mm
	range, I'd have you cool down and wait for this
	to emerge. I'd say before next Spring.

To sum up, considering your present outfit, which is indeed
remarkable, these are the moves I'd have you consider:
R 19mm f/2.8
M 24mm f/2.8 asph
R 28mm or PC 28mm
	(the preceeding M 24mm asph would be a better move in your case
	to give your 'M' more useability in photo shoot context
	where a low range zoom equipped 'R' likely would
	find a lot more use)
low range R zoom (your choice )
M 75mm f/1.4
	(tentative : the R 70-180 apo zoom could be more useful)
R 70-180 apo zoom
2X apo extender

IF you decide to go a more conservative route, which I favor,
considering what equipment you already own:

	1/ exchange the R 35/2 for a low range R zoom
	2/ add either a R 19mm or a M 24mm asph,
	perhaps both if you are very rich, to add ultra wide
	capability to both your 'M' and 'R'. To me: the R 19mm,
	assuming an eventual R 28mm model later on
	and considering what a 19mm could bring to your photography
	right away and 'real life' photo situations with so much
	excellent equipment. Then again, a M 24mm asph equipped 'M'
	with a low range zoom 'R' would be a wonderful two body kit.
	You have to weigh your photo priorities per your own
	irreplaceable photo experience and style --
	the low range 'R' zoom and 24mm asph is one excellent
	more conservative approach. Myself, I'd rather have a 35mm f/2
	asph equipped M (which you already have) and a low range R zoom
	[ and/or a 19 mm for more 'creative' photo situations ]
	in a two body on-the-go strategy.
	3/ a R 70-180 mm apo zoom

An EXTRA CONSERVATIVE approach:

	1/ exchange the R 35/2 for a low range R zoom
	2/ get either the current R 19mm OR M 24mm asph
	to add immediate ultra-wide capability to your photo bag.

	ADD a 6 month "wait & see" for new models to emerge
	especially where Leica camera bodies are concerned,
	where you also could grab a clean pre-owned R8, R7 or R6.2.
	You could, one other option, exchange the SL/50mm
	for a R8 / 19mm and expect the best offer that can be had,
	unless the SL/50 has romantic value to you.
	In your case, I also favor a Leica R8 or eventual R8.2
	to simplify on-the-go photo shoots as your mind / body
	gets more and more accustomed to one model's specific
	controls and subconscious camera / body / mind image
	for more effective enhanced photo shoot "instinct"
	as opposed to differing and confusing model variations
	remembering you are not a camera shop but a photographer
	who'd rather get the job done as effortlessly as possible.

	It's all a bit long, but you were not exactly proposing
	a simple problem.

	Best regards,

	Andre Jean Quintal