Subject: Re: [Leica] Wild fox kit taken with 105-280 on web page
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 01:11:57 -0300

Jay:

I was not sure where the fox would go after he came out of the den so I
chose a zoom.  It is also a lot lighter than the 280 2.8 APO I have or the
400mm 2.8 APO.  I call the 400APO my destination lens.  You only bring it
when you know where you are going and where you are going to use it, not on
scouting trips.  I use zooms very little because I like the wide apertures
of the primes rather than using slower film.  The 105-280 is quite
impressive in the quality of images it makes.  Since I was on a tripod and
was using fill flash, I figured the slow speed would not be a disadvantage.

I also learned that you need smaller apertures to get decent depth of
field, so the 280 2.8 would be redundant weight.  When I go back, I may
bring a 280 or 180 prime in addition to the 105-280.  The Leica APO lenses
create awesome images on slide film, even better than the 105-280.  I was
in a stationary blind so a zoom was necessary since I don't think I could
change lenses without scaring off the fox.  I may however, try setting up
with two bodies with the 105-280 and one additional prime lens.  I just
have to figure out the logistics of mounting two cameras in my blind.

Regards,

Robert