Subject: [Leica]24mm Lens
From: "A. Huntley" <prasepe@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:16:41 -0400

Fellow LUGgers,
Ran my first roll of film through the M6 today using my new 24mm Elmarit-M ASPH.  Haven't even developed the film yet and I can tell already that I am going to really enjoy using this lens.  Of course, it will take some time to learn how to effectively use the perspective and near-far relationships, but it seems that once you learn how to "nail it" the possibilities seem almost endless.  A usage question for those of you out there with this lens (are you listening Tom?):  the tremendous DOF of this lens is clearly visible while focussing with the rangefinder...do most of you focus for each shot?  Zone focus?  Set the hyperfocal distance for your chosen aperture and just keep shooting?  I've never owned any focal length less than 35mm so this is all new to me!  It seems that "old rules" such as:  set focus on something about 1/3 the distance into the scene, just do not seem to apply here.  Thoughts?

As always, thanks for any advice given.

Best regards,
Alan Huntley