Subject: [Leica] The Perfect Outfit, Part 2
From: Jay Coleman <jcoleman@interport.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:06:48 -0400

Bennet, Ted, Doug, Mark, et al.:

I am afraid my first post was composed too hastily.  Your comments are
fair.  Let me elaborate on my original post.  First, what kind of
pictures do I take?  I take all sorts of pictures -- formal portraits,
street, landscapes, travel, flowers, happy snaps.  I have taken some
motor racing photos but by and large do not anticipate doing heavy
sports photography (or wildlife photography) which requires very long
(and heavy) glass.

What do I mean by the perfect outfit?  I mean M and R outfits that
emphasize the strengths of each system and are not too duplicative.
Hence, I am considering selling the 35 Summicron R since I now have a 35
Summicron M and am considering the 35-70/4 instead because zooms are one
of the strengths of the R system.  Let me explain why I have what I
have.  The R8 because it is the best Leica SLR -- it offers the user the
most flexibility.  The 35 R because at the time I did not have the M and
it is a great general purpose lens.  The 100 APO because I like to do
flower close-ups, it is a useful focal length for portraits, landscapes,
and general photgraphy, and because it is one of the best Leica lenses.
Jim Lager in his lens book says that this lens alone is reason enough to
own the R system.  The 180/3.4 APO, at the time purchased, was the best
180.  This was my first foray into long glass, one of the R's
strengths.  I got the SL with the 50 as a back-up body.  I like it, very
solid and lighter than the R8, but does not take the ROM lenses which I
believe are the future of the R system.

I recently purchased the M system.  I purchased the lenses I did for two
main reasons:  image quality and weight.  IMHO, one of the strengths of
the M system is light weight and portability.  This, and cost, are why I
did not get Summiluxes.  I was tired of lugging around an R outfit while
travelling or while walking around New York City where I live.
Ultimately, I would like a 35/1.4 Asph. and 90/2 Asph but initially they
are too heavy and expensive.

My question about the 21/2.8 Asph. M or 19/2.8 R is relatively simple:
which is better optically?  I had a 21/4 R which I have sold in order to
purchase one of the above lenses.  I like the focal length, but wanted
the extra stop and hopefully slightly better image quality (mainly at
the dges and wide open).  I have had the opportunity to test the 21/4
against the 19/2.8 and believed the 19/2.8 to be noticably superior.  I
have also used the old style 19 which I believe to be not quaite as good
as the 21.  I have not had the opportunity to test the 21/2.8 APh. M but
have studied Erwin Puts' reports which I have found to be reliable.
There is also the question of ease of use.  I tend not to use the 21 for
the quick snap in the street but rather for composed landscapes or
architecture.  I have tried (in the store) the seperate viewfinder for
the 21 M and find it annoying.  I am not sure I could compose precisely
enough with it.  I understand, however, that once one gets used to it,
sufficiently precise composition is possible.  This causes me to lean to
the 19 for the R, but the 21 is lighter and, some say, better.

As for the 35 and 80 Summilux Rs, I like the 80 focal length.  Sometimes
100 is too long for portraits (for example).  Also, I used the 80 to
photograph my wife , who is a singer, on stage.  I like the Summiluxes
for the R as opposed to the M because the large lenses balance better on
the R8 than on an M6.  I also like the bright viewfinder.

As for the 35-70/4 and 70-180/2.8, as mentioned, one of the strengths of
SLRs is zooms.  I thought it would make sense to try them.  As for the
2X APO extender, again, the strength of SLRs is long lenses:  a 360/6.8
should be adequate for such (daylight) sports and wildlife photography I
intend to do.  Also a 200/5.6 APO Macro focusing to 1:1 is appealing.

Finally, I am not a collector.  I am an amateur photographer.  My
current livliehood allows me to indulge somewhat in Leica cameras and
glass.  If money were not an issue, however, I would not need to seek
your advice, but would simply purchase every lens.  And if I could, I
would.  Each lens in the Leica system has a unique use, perspective,
fingerprint.  The potential outfits mentioned in my first post are just
that, potential.  I do not plan, and could not readily afford, to
purchase all that glass at once.  Simply because I inquire about
equipment does not mean I do not use it.  To the contrary, I use it as
often as I can.  For example, during the first week of August, I was  up
in the Adirondacks and spent a great deal of time chasing clouds and
lakes and Adirondack architecture.  I would love to share the photos
with the LUG but I haven't yet set up a website.  I have, however,
convinced Tamarkin -- New York to hang some of my pictures in their
store.  I hope to have the photos up October 1 and hope all Luggers in
town will stop by and take a look.  I will update the LUG when I know
more.

Thanks for your comments.

Jay Coleman