Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 400 2.8 vs Canon 500 f4, Leica 280 vs Canon 300
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:19:04 -0300

Gary:

Your 280 F4 is one of Leica's best lenses.  I have shot my 280 2.8 APO
versus a Canon Eos 300 2.8L lens and found the Leica transparencies were
much better.  The Canon's were sharp, but the Leica had more snap to them
and a more 3d look.  Anybody I have shown them to agrees.  As Ted Grant
said a while ago when this topic surfaced, "The art directors could pick
the Leica images out of the others on the light table".  I would find a
Leica 400 2.8 used and stick with Leica.  The 400 2.8 is also awesome with
either the 1.4 or 2x extenders.

I have posted a web page with two soccer pictures, one taken with a Canon
300 2.8 EOS and EOS 1n with the other taken with a Leica 280 2.8 and R8.
Why don't we do a survey and see if people can tell which is the Leica
shot.  Both were done on the same film (RSX 100 II) and in the evening.
One is on grass, the other on artificial turf and no direct sun.  Pay
attention to detail in the black shorts.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Misc.htm

A local dealer had called me a few months ago to see if I knew where he
could sell a APO 400 2.8 Demo.  This lens may still be available and could
probably had for the price of the Canon.  If you want info on this demo
lens, email me privately.

As for the Canon lens, remember that IS is not used when using a tripod or
for sports.  A lens like this would always be used on a tripod.  If you
want to do nature, you will use manual focus all the time anyways to get
the eyes of the subject in focus.  EOS lenses on manual focus have a shitty
feel to them since you are not actually moving the lens with the focus
ring, but providing input for the ultrasonic motor to know where to move.
As for weight, if you compare the Leica 400 2.8 to the Canon 400 2.8, the
Leica is quite a bit lighter.

Regards,

Robert

At 10:47 AM 8/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>This is NOT a troll.
>
>I presently shoot all Leica 35mm (R stystem).  My longest lense is the
Leica 280
>f4 and I have the 1.4 converter.  I am very happy with this lense but I
want to
>add a longer lense to my setup.
>
>My question?
>
>    The Leica 400 2.8 runs around $11,000.   The new Canon 500IS runs around
>$7,500 plus I would need to buy an EOS 3 to use with the lense for a total
cost
>of around $9,000.
>
>    My question to anyone with experience with these systems is do I stay
with
>all Leica or should I save some money + give myself a 3rd camera body and
go with
>the Canon?  My heart says to stay with Leica but I'm wondering if the
autofocus
>and lightness (Canon 500 weighs around 7lbs while the Leica 400 weighs almost
>13lbs.) make a huge difference.
>
>    Has anyone seen "side-by-side" comparisons of 35mm transparencies shot
with
>Leica long lenses vs. Canon long lenses?   I want to be able to make
Ilfochromes