Subject: Re: [Leica] The Perfect Outfit
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:07:55 -0700

Jay Coleman wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen:
>
> It now is time for me to seek counsel from this august group.  As I had
> mentioned earlier in my R8 encomium, I am currently trying to put
> together the "perfect" M and R outfits.  I currently have an M6, 35/2
> Asph, 50/2, 90/2.8 Elmarit-M, an R8, 35/2, 100/2.8 APO, 180/3.4 APO, SL
> with 50/2 (2 cam).  I am considering getting a wide angle and cannot
> decide between the 21/2.8 Asph. for the M and the (new style) 19/2.8 for
> the R.  I am also considering replacing the 35/2 R with the new
> 35-70/4.  For the R, I also want an 80/1.4 (I had one and foolishly sold
> it), a 35/1.4 and also the new 50/1.4 (but I think I'll wait for it to
> appear used).  I also eventually want a 70-180/2.8 APO and a 2X APO
> converter for the R.  For the M, the 35/1.4 Asph. and the 90/2 Asph.  I
> also want another M body and probably another R8 (or successor) instead
> of the SL.  I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jay Coleman

A Bark from Mark
The fact that you would mention all this stuff asking for advice for the
"perfect outfit" without the slightest mention of WHAT you shoot HOW, FILM,
PAPER, CHEMISTRY says it all, unfortunately.

From a technical standpoint you have two overlapping systems; one SLR and one
rangefinder without showing much of an awareness of what one approach can do
that the other can't.
YES! you have the macro for the R, YES! you want the 21 for the M BUT COULD ALSO
JUST AS WELL DO WITH THE 19R. YES! you can use zooms and extenders on the R
which you plan to get but it's all TOYS, TOYS, TOYS unless we know WHY!!!?????
You LOVE to shoot WHAT???? in what WAY!!!
But you can't quite get the shot because you don't have WHAT tasty German
bonbon????
These are tools to do a job not Unicorns lined up on a shelf. If you are a
collector why not admit it!
I am astonished with the potential of your extraordinary system. That exquisite
glass you mention must be leaping off the shelf wanting to shoot pictures as I
fear you are leaving them high and dry as you page endlessly through the Shutterbug.
Mark Rabiner