Subject: Re: [Leica] M tele-converter
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:13:15 EDT

In a message dated 8/17/99 7:31:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dprichards@uswest.net writes:

<< This becomes problematic, since the lens informs the body which frame lines
 to throw up based upon the lens' focal length.  A teleconverter would
 necessarily be universal, that is, usable by various focal length lenses
 and, thus, unable to communicate focal length info to the body.  Plus,
 since the M uses rangefinder, not reflex viewing, a tele-converter used
 with long lenses, which is the only application where a teleconverter has
 any real value, would result in a framing area so small as to be even less
 approximate, and therefore less valuable, than it is already. >>

I happen to have a Komura 2x for the Leica M.   By trial-and-error I found
that the rangefinder patch is a good approximation of the 270mm view,  the
180mm (90 + 2x) is between the 135 and the rangefinder patch.  Of course
these areas are ridiculously small but I consider the 2x an emergency tool
only.  Cambridge Camera sells the 2x's with a dark but useable multiframe
finder for $500, but I bought mine for $75 without a finder and I make do.
I'm sure if Leica were to make a 1.4 or 2x it would doubtless have goggles
for the rangefinder/viewfinder and a means (either pass-through from the
lens' cam or a manual selector lever) of bringing up the correct frameline.