Subject: [Leica] Re: followup, 8mm fisheye option
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 99 09:42:33 +1000

apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn> wrote:

>Now before anyone criticizes me for making off topic remarks I would
>point out that the only way a Leica user can make 180degree fisheye
>circular shots is with another brand of camera or a customized
>Sigma/Nikon or perhaps an old Canon 7.5mm.

Not true Adrian, see the examples on my VR page and see the
brackets and rig I use on my Equipment page.

In short, you can shoot *print* quality VRs using the Leica R
16mm.  The trick is to shoot 6 shots around & 1 shot pointing
straight up.

You end up exposing 7 full 35mm frames per 360-degree scene,
c.f. an 8mm fisheye where you typically only expose 2 or 3
*partial* frames.

So with the Leica 16mm not only do you get the Leica lens advantage,
but also > 7x the film area and consequent reduction in grain
and increase in image detail.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
nemeng.com