Subject: [Leica] Re: followup, 8mm fisheye option
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 99 18:07:16 +0800

Andrew Nemeth wrote,

>I've tried out lots of fisheye lenses in the course of my VR work.
>So far, the Leitz 16mm fisheye elmarit is the best resolution and
>flare wise.  An added advantage it has is that it follows the ideal
>fisheye mathematical projection - other fisheyes don't and thus images
>they capture have to be polynomial corrected if you are going to
>stitch them together into one 360-degree seamless whole.

Andrew FWIW my new Sigma EX 8mm claims to have Equisolidangle Projection,
though the German 'winkeltreues Objektiv' ('correct-to-the-angle-of-view
lens' in my rendering) seems somehow less abstruse. I have not tested it
completely yet but it does seem to be a genuine 180degree view even
stopped down (which the earlier 8mm Sigma was not, allegedly).
I am told by people who see an awful lot of these lenses that they vary
in construction quality a lot but if you get a good one they are as good
as they get in the limited field of circular fisheyes. My seems excellent.

Do you use RealVR or what for your web panoramas? I am just getting
involved in Ipix for which there seems a lot of demand and they are
certainly amusing.

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw