Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photography in restricted places
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:32:05 -0400

Jim-
I have gone to several 'historical' sites, and if there is a 'No Cameras'
rule, it usually is because of two reasons- some sites have guided tours,
and evidently it is distracting to both the docents and visitors if there is
a lot of flashing lights going off randomly, and if your eyes are adjusted
to the often dim conditions, it is annoying. In these instances, and
assurance that I have no flash, and that the camera (M3 or LTM) is very
quiet, I have been granted permission to take photos- and usually, the other
people don't notice!
The other case, and it's a place I love to visit- the Biltmore House, in
Asheville, NC- it apparently is owned now, by a non-profit organization
dedicated to the conservation and preservation of this historic landmark-
since they derive considerable income, again used to preserve the site,
photography is not allowed in the house, and I can live with that- they
generously let you shoot away in the other structures on the site, the
beautiful garden, and grounds.
The same situation is found at the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts,
at Old Salem, NC- Here they keep the light levels low- and the display areas
are air conditioned and climate controlled- size of groups limited to help
maintain a constant humidity, and no photos- again because the rights to
their displays are reserved and copyrighted.
Invariably, if there are no outstanding legal entanglemaents or copyrights
involved, or there is nothing distracting about your shooting, I have been
quite fortunate in being allowed to shoot what I wanted, merely by asking.
I would imagine, since the Crown Jewels may be part of the National Trust
(Is that like our National ParkService?) that it is not like photographing
private property, but they may be concerned about security!
Of course, I don't expect to read about "Diamond Jim" Brick, nicked and in
darbies for trying to take the Crown Jewels, but then, they may not know you
the way we do!
I suppose discretion is the greater part of success, the Leica
notwithstanding!
Dan