Subject: [Leica] followup, 8mm fisheye option RE: Leitz lenses on medium format
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 99 18:07:09 +0800

Just FYI and FWIW I have been trying out my new Sigma 8mm EX circular
fisheye on my EOS and am most impressed: it is very sharp and has
amazingly low flare/internal reflections. I bought this for a web project
making 360degree panoramas and it looks like just the job. Certainly
cheaper and maybe even better than the Nikon 8mm 2.8 which has been the
ultimate for such projects to date.
Now before anyone criticizes me for making off topic remarks I would
point out that the only way a Leica user can make 180degree fisheye
circular shots is with another brand of camera or a customized
Sigma/Nikon or perhaps an old Canon 7.5mm. There is a Russian Peleng
circular fisheye available through some company in Slovenia I think but I
would surprised if it is a/any use b/ available in Leica R or M mount.
One other adaptation I have seen is of the Pentax 67 fisheye mounted on
Sinar board which is okay if you have a digital shuttered Sinar I
suppose.
I suspect all 35mm full frame fisheyes would have cutoff due to internal
baffling and the vestigial hoods which would be only removed at great
expense. I also seriously doubt whether there would be any quality
advantage in using a small format lens on a large format film except for
a few long focus lenses (which are usually flat field in the moderate
tele lengths such as 135 Elmars).

Conclusion: for circular fisheye photos get a circular fisheye.<g>

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw
Editorial and Corporate Photography