Subject: [Leica] Universal focusing screens.
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:20:46 -0700

Dick Hemingway wrote:

>Query?

>Is the ground glass in the ground glass screen different from the ground
>glass around the outside of the universal focusing screen??

>Do you see the same on the ground glass on both screens.  I read something
>that the surround on the universal focusing screen is small prisms - not
>ground glass??

Dick:

The ground glass is not microprisms, but exactly what it says.  Ground
glass (or rather, ground plastic).

I replaced my "universal" screen in my R5 with the "Uniform Ground Glass
Screen with Grid Divisions".  As easy to focus on as the standard Universal
screen, the microprisms don't darken with long lenses and the rather
unobtrusive grid lines are *really* handy for composing shots.

BTW:  Anybody on the list have a "Uniform G/G screen with Grids" that fits
my newly acquired R6 for sale? Cheap?  If so, please email me privately.
Thanks.

David Young,     | A man who gives in when wrong, is wise.
Victoria, CANADA | A man who gives in when right, is married.