Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summilux (non-ASPH)
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:56:05 -0700

Dan Khong wrote:

>priced lens.  His lens offered for sale was even more attractive.  With a
>serial number of #352xxxx, this lens is of latter vintage and that means it
>is multicoated as well.  This is better than my ex-lens which is not likely
>to be multicoated since its S/N is under #32*****.

If I am not mistaken (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am), the Summilux 35
was one of the very first production 35mm format lenses anywhere to be
multicoated, and it arrived with the multicoating right from day one. It's
not multicoated with the number of layers that the SMC Pentax lenses made
famous, but it has multiple coating layers. During production the lens
probably experienced modifications in its coatings, and maybe the later
ones were better, but I remember seeing the Summilux for the first time
around 1960 or 61 and wondering about the different color coatings.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com