Subject: Re: [Leica] SLR choice
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:08:29 -0400

This Bud, is for you!
Thanks for the clarification!
The reason the K-1000 was discontinue was that even being assembled in
China, they were losing $5 a copy to the dealers cost the last year it was
sold, according to the Pentax man who was at the store for once of out
special event sales.
Sad, too, that the perceived value of a really decent camera doesn't allow
for it to be sold at a price where the maker can make a profit and survive!
I know mechanical cameras are more expensive- a R6.2 is a lot more than an
R8 on the used market, but the reliability and independance from batteries
is a real asset.
Luckily, Sherry assures me that my SLs will last another twenty years at
least, so they'll be around at least as long as I'm able to pick up a camera
and push the shutter button!
Dan