Subject: Re: [Leica] which inkjet photo paper?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:48:10 -0400

Tim-
Well, I didn't say it was cheap! The local store where I got mine is
charging $15.78 for a ten sheet sample pack! I did see the same pack in the
B&H ad in this months (Shudder! Cringe!) Pop Photo- Yes I do subscribe, but
under the assumed name of Gonzo Niepce which really puzzled the postman when
the subscription started! I think he thought my wife had another man move
in!)
B&H price as I recalled was under $9, and I can only assume that their other
prices are proportionately lower as well.
It ain't for everyday stuff! I use the Kodak for that, but if you want
something to impress the friends, and relatives, or to put out some prints
for exhibition yourself, this stuff will do it!
I scanned a 4x5 print at 600dpi, resized to 8x10 in photoshop, and made a
straight print on the velour surface, no photoenhancement or anything on the
Epson Photo 700, with the 1440dpi resolution, and you could not tell it was
a digital print. Even thought the subject was wearing a black coat, I still
had detail in the deep shadows! The paper is heavy, no wrinkles, no
indication it was done with ink, and had I wanted to exhibit it, a strip of
museum tape at the top, under a matte, and it would have laid as flat as if
it had been dry mounted.!
Also- The Lumijet inks, to gain this archival peranance, require the use of
a cleaning cartridge to flush the old ink out of the heads before using
their Platinum Ink. I would say that it is not for everyday, down and dirty
proofing, but if you wanted to quickly make some prints for a show, or where
a degree of permanance was required, this stuff is impressive.
I imagine the price will come down- they are new to the market, and as the
competition among ink jet papers heat up, the prices will surely come down!
Dan