Subject: Re: [Leica] Reliability? Soap box length. Delete is you are in a hurry!
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:36:19 -0400

 I'd like to chime in on what my perception is about reliability. I am still
working toward an M6, and I like to say that as soon as my M3 wears out,
I'll replace it with the M6! (Maybe my grandchildren will take up the
cause!). I think that if the M6 is more reliable than the older Leicas, then
you are in no danger of being disappointed (even those who loudly complain
about their problems- still stay on the list and use Leicas, mainly because
they can't find anything better!)
If you are, like me, financially challenged, and not a professional where
you can deduct the cost of equipment, you can look for a good used Leica M6.
There are people who, for whatever reason, do not like the RF type camera,
have the wherewithal to try a Leica, don't particulaly care for it, and
trade it in! I have gotten many cameras that way, particularly Hasselblads,
when I did weddings. The only new Hassy thing I ever bought was a film
magazine- and I used the stuff every weekend for 8 years and only had to
have one of my old film magazines cleaned and adjusted during the whole
time!
The other upside to buying a used one, is that for the most part, they cost
enough that you don't see them 'abused', and they are usually very well
taken care of, and even old Leicas look surprisingly good because of their
ruggedness, and the fact that they're worth looking after!
To echo Ted, the Noctilux is in a class all by itself. My friend Bob
INSISTED I take his for a test drive- I was petrified that something would
happen to it, but using it was, pardon the expression, and eye opening
experience. I took photos in places that were so dark, I couldn't focus- it
was by guess or by God that I 'zone' focused- and at f1.0, there ain't much
'zone' there! With only 400 ISO film, I got negatives that had seemed to
furnished their own light! These jokes about the Noctilux creating its own
light are of course hyperbole, but once you try this optic, you can see why
people joke about it like that!
IF you don't need to photograph in available darkness, then the Summilux
lenses can get you almost there in terms of low light performance. I only
have the Summarit, the 'poor mans' Summilux, and even though Marc says the
Jupiters blow it in the grass, I am not at all ashamed to use it or show the
photos! I can barely imagine that the Summilux 50 is better, but then I did
see some slides of the Sistene chapel, handheld, with the Summilux 75, and
they were absolutely stunning! You need very little imagination to get the
idea of what the 50 and 35mm lenses can do.
Reliability? I have a couple of lenses from 1937- uncoated, and OLD! But I
get decent results, if I shade them and take a little care, and after 60
years they are still quite reliable. There is no reason to think that the
new ones are any different, from the standpoint of reliability. Erwin's
evaluations show that for the most part, the new lenses are on the cutting
edge of what modern optics are capable of, and with the inherent reliability
of the Leica equipment, they will produce fine images well into the 21st
century!
So- in short- don't worry, be happy, buy a Leica- New or Old, and enjoy!
Dan Post ( maybe with a name like Post, I shouldn't be on a soap box, but
rather on a cereal box....)