Subject: Re: [Leica] Reliability?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:59:15 -0700

Michael Gatov wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping I can get a bit of
> advice.  First of all, I previouslly owned an M6 with a 50mm f2.0 and a 90mm
> f2.8.  I sold them to help me get into a Contax SLR system RTSIII, RX and 9
> lenses.   I've been genuinely thrilled with the results of the Zeiss optics,
> and that led me to buy a G2.  I've also been very happy with that. So much
> so that I've pretty much stopped using the SLR (since I use my H'blad system
> when I'm willing to carry a bunch of weight).   The problem that I have is
> that if I don't want to carry my Contax SLR, I'm not able to take advantage
> of fast lenses.  While I'm thrilled with the performance of the G2, it
> simply does not have fast enough lenses for all of my needs.  I like to
> travel and generally only want to work with available light. I'm
> contemplating going back into the M6 and getting:  35mm 1.4 aspheric, 50mm
> noctilux, and the 90mm 2.0 aspheric.  I would use these in addition to the G
> system.  It might be heresy to say it on this forum, but I prefer the color
> rendition from the G optics to those of the M series lenses that I used.
> But that is irrelevant if I can't get the shot because there isn't enough
> light.
>
> What is holding me back is the apparent unreliability of the current M6.
> I've had friends who have had the rangefinder needing to be sent back to
> Leica for repair on a regular basis (4 times in 2 years).  One guy simply
> had his camera slip off of his car seat and fall about 8" onto the carpet
> and it bumped it out of whack.  When I talked to our local pro-shop here in
> Portland about how many M6's they have had to send back for customers,
> they've mentioned that quite a few have come in needing repair, moreso than
> most other manufacturers bodies.
>
> Now I know that the lenses are built like tanks, but I'm worried about the
> body.  So, I'm hoping you can help me out with a few questions:
>
> 1)  What is going on with the M6?  If I could find an M6J, would it be built
> any better?
> 2)  Has anyone used the 90mm F2.0 Aspheric?  If so, how is its performance?
> 3)  How is the 35mm f1.4 aspheric wide open, and also closed down to say
> f11?
> 4)  I've heard that the Noctilux lends a unique appearance to the pictures.
> Can anyone describe it?
>
> Thanks for listening,
> Regards,
> Michael

Hello Mr. Gatov!:
I'm in Portland too!
If your only problem with your G2 is the speed of the lenses then you are on the
wrong list looking at the wrong camera. The G2 doesn't even have depth of field
scales on the lenses and represents a whole different school of approach and
thought than the Leica M. Both are Rangefinder camera systems period.
On a scale of 1-10 the homework you've done on the Leica M system puts you at
about a 1. Enough to transparently know of "the apparent unreliability of the
current M6." And not enough to know that the M6J is a limited edition high
priced option aimed as much to collectors as for users and that a more magnified
viewfinder option currently exists now in their TTL M6 out now. The 90mm F2.0
Aspheric is in the running for the greatest lens of all time. And then four
other major issues which I don't even begin to have the time or space to answer
and I wonder if anyone else will either. I don't think this list is here to hand
feed you everything you need to know about Leica M cameras. You need to throw up
an interesting possibility, new angle on a new question, or at least one
question at a time.
My M6 that I've had for 6.5 years and put 1000 rolls of film or so through has
been in the repair shop twice for five minutes each with me standing there. The
long and rich history and reputation of the camera is so thoroughly documented
that you should have no trouble. If your friends don't know about factory
trained and authorized Bill Crispin here in Portland who will fix any problem in
usually no time and little money than their commitment to the system would be
questioned. Any serious amateur or pro in this town knows about Bill.
I would just hang in for a while and listen and check the archives and bone up
on your own if you truly have an interest in the worlds greatest camera.
Mark Rabiner