Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 thoughts
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 13:34:51 -0700

Max wrote:

>I understand what you mean but I don't like the R8.(I also never wrapped my
>hands around a bison ;-))

Hi Max,

Jeeesh I gotta tell you, hand holding a Bison is a hellva lot harder than
holding an R8! :)

>I compare my M6 to a Harley. It's rustical, but beautiful and I travel all
>the time with it. People who buy a Harley spend a lot of money but there is
>no speculation, they just love this machine and when you use it.....whoahhhh

I know what you mean, as I was riding them in 1945-46 ( khaki looking):)
the old Harley 45. Now that was a Harley compared to the big and flashy
hogs of today. However, I'd not pass one up if someone would like to donate
one to the ted grant benevolent Society. :)

>I'm sorry but for me Leica means M. (like the 911 for Porsche).

Not going to touch the Porsche thing, as I always wanted to own one and if
I don't soon win the lottery so I can buy one, I'm going to rent one and
drive the hell out of it for 24 hours. Then go to the big darkroom in the
sky with my Leica's and smile from the Porsche.:)

As far as Leica means only "M" I'll beg to differ with you a tad, as to me
Leica is Leica, M or R and I use whichever I need to do whatever I'm
working on. However, I realize when we are referring to Leica it usually
means the "M" camera and there isn't any argument to that.  Me and my Leica
means me and M.:)

But then I do colour with an R camera 99% of the time that the M can't
touch nor has the same look nor feel, even lens for equal lens. I put
colours and content to-gether in an entirely different context with the R
than I see with the M. By the same token I shoot B&W with an M that has an
entirely different look and feel to when I shoot B&W in an R camera.

Why? I really don't know, it just seems the M is B&W and the R is colour.
And this has developed from use and results more than any hypothetical
thing.

We are nevertheless on the same wave length, Harley's and Leica. But the
Bison you're on your own my friend. :) They're really big mothers!:)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant