Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 thoughts
From: Robert Stevens <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 15:44:18 -0300

Ted:

Last month I decided I liked the R8 so much that I sold my R6 and motor
drive and replaced it with an R8.  I find even for sports, the R8 has a
more predictable shutter release for capturing the decisive moment.

 I was at a seminar by a stock sports photographer from British Columbia.
I think his name was Alec Ptomaly, or soething close to that.  He showed
that even a fast 6fps motor drive is not fast enough to capture the
decisive moment.  If you press the shutter just prior to the decisive
moment and capture it, the few frames after that will be past it.  If you
just hold down the button hoping to capture the decisive moment, you will
probably miss it because at six frames per second, the exposures are too
far apart.  He later started using a high speed Canon F1 which does 15fps
and he says if he presses the shutter at the right time, he may get two
good shots of the decisive moment.  After attending his seminar, I tried my
R8's with winders only, and have gotten some awesome shots.  I will however
get an R8 motor when it arrives, for sports where there can be a lot of
decisive moments in a row, such as basket ball.

Alec also did a bit on autofocus.  His conclusion was the best way to shoot
sports was to find an area of decisive action and trap focus on it.  In
other words, find a spot focus on it manually and fire the shutter just
efore the subject reaches it.  He showed a series of ski shots taken with
an EOS3 and auto focus and said they were very impressive in that the
camera could keep the skier in focus as he approached him, but the images
though well composed and in focus, lacked the shot of a decisive moment.

Alex Ptomaly has had one of his stock shots duplicated millions of times.
The picture on the Kokanee Beer can was taken by him.

Regards,

Robert