Subject: Re: [Leica] m2
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:17:51 -0400

Wilber-
Would be nice, but a bitch to grind! Hardness next only to diamond, so your
lens would have to be ground with diamond and probably a sapphire tool as
well. Since not many people would go to the expense- the economy of scale
would never kick in and you'd pay lots and lots! Probably more than
replacing your tempered lenses every six months.
Besides- with state laws such as our (NC) only certain glass is allowed,
must be tempered and tested ( they use a steel ball dropped from a specified
height to hit the center of the lens- Had to wait several time for
replacements when my lenses did meet the test!
I sued to wear the Industrial Saftely Lens- where the thinnest portion was
3mm, minimum, and like Mark said, you nose knows- as well as your ears!
Basicall- a few dollars of prevention- rubber eyecups, if not too big, are
worth several hundred dollars in cure!
Actually- you can tell people you shoot with a Summar, and you like to
previsualize the scene! :o}~
Dan- the guy with the Softar Spectacles!
- - Say! Did you have a facelift, or are my glasses smudged!