Subject: Re: [Leica] m2
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 12:28:30 -0400

Marc-
Unfortuantely, and here I have some expertise since I have had to wear
glasses for almost 50 years!, but it is not so much who MAKES the lens
blanks, but who FILLS THE Rx, and GRINDS THE LENSES!
I have had a few bad experiences with companies that use American Optical ,
B&L and other well known brands, but screw up the grinding, and fitting! I
guess it is analogous to the Russian LTM lenses- the glass is good, but the
performance depends on who assembled the lens!
For me, short of Lasik surgery, contact lenses work best, for me. Since I am
of an age where bifocals are necessary (about ten years ago, my arms got too
short!), even the best variable focus lenses left much to be desired in
being able to see the entire viewfinder, and being able to focus! Even with
a diopter adjustment on some cameras, I cannot get the whole field of the
finder in focus at one time!
Also, glass is not a very good option for me- the curvature of my lenses are
so severe that if I use glass instead of plastic with an high index of
refraction, The edges of my lenses are about 3/8" thick and very heavy!
So, I wear contacts betimes, and use a small light pair of reading glasses
for close-up stuff!
Myopically yours,
Dan