Subject: [Leica] Re: depressed about investment
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 09:05:46 -0700

On 13 Aug 99, ckk wrote, at least in part:

> Oh well, I am contrary enough to feel I "need" a Leica. I just can no
> longer prove it.
>
> VEK

Of course you can, VEK! I'd bet that the finished work that you
viewed was not prints much larger than 'snaps'. Did you look at
the transparencies under a really good loupe?

The T4 is certainly one of the better P & S cameras, but there are
differences. It's like everything really fine in life. To get 2X in
quality, one often has to pay 10 or 20 X  the price.

About 15 years ago, I located a magnum of Ch. Mouton 1929 in a
dealer's celler. He had several and offered one to me for $375.00
(a steal, actually). We had a very special dinner with 12 couples in
attendence. Each couple brought a bottle or two to showcase
against the Mouton. No one brought vin ordinare; they were all
quality bottles. To make a long story short, the Mouton justified its
reputation by being absolutely stupendous! Upon opening, the
bouquet filled the room exciting the senses for what was to follow.
The palate was not disappointed! Words fail.

Without a doubt, the most exquisite claret that I have ever tasted.
Was it worth the difference in price? To us, that night, it was
indeed!

Footnote: Six months later, a jeroboam (2.5 times the size of a
magnum) of the same '29 Mouton sold at auction in New Orleans
for 10,000.00 USD.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org