Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:41:57 -0400

<<But, so far, we're only talking about HUMAN subjects. Tina, do
you and other LUGers think 35mm has an edge in capturing
the "truth" of an Alaskan river basin? I don't. If the term "subject"
embraces the non-human (and non-animal) realm, I fail to see
how 35mm is more likely to capture the character
and ambience of the subject. Whose Yosemite do you find
the most "truthful" Adams or Rowell's? Whose Point Lobos do
you find most "truthful", Edward-Bret-Cole Westons' or someone
else packing a 35mm? Who do you want conveying the "truth"
of Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture?

Leica-it or not, 35mm has limitations as a "truth" teller in the
non-human realm. If we include these "subjects" I do not
agree that 35mm is capable of "giving us more truthful
impressions of the world: records, observations, or
reports of reality."

- - --Gib

PS: I'm open to the notion that there is more of the individual's
consciousness mixed in with the capturing of "truth" in the
non-human realm; but I think there are some subtle philosophical
issues involved which make it difficult to tell the dancer from the dance.>>
- ---------------------
I have very very few pictures of people - love the one's I got and others'
of course.  But its not my thing.  I don't think that Leica is in anyway
"limited" as such.  The Leica has built a reputation in certain ways.  But
that doesn't then limit it.  I don't think in terms of capturing "the truth"
and I don't use a Leica primarily as a 'document tool'   I could care less
about a Yosemite picture anyway.  But the point is that the Leica 'lives' in
real time with the person as a photographer in a way that LF can't.  The
photographer isn't limited to people-interests so why should his camera be?
That's the thing there - rather than producing fine photographs one is a
photographer with the quickest shot around.  And it's a damn good one.
Otherwise we'd be using epic zooms.  Wildlife, scenery?  No rule excludes
Leica here.  M6 35 asph and you'll have a nice image - tripod R7 180 APO and
you'll fool everyone - or close enough.