Subject: [Leica] Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:36:33 -0500

My first experience with medium format was viewing a slide show my neighbor
presented on his trip to the boundary waters area in northern Minnesota.  He
rented a Minolta Autocord camera for the trip, and presented the slides with
a rented 21/4 slide projector.  The first slide caused eye pain.  It was
extremely bright, and the sharpness was better than 35, but not
significantly better.  I was not impressed with the contrast of the slides
either.  Even so,  it was apparent to me that  a larger slide results in a
brighter picture (only 1/2 magnification that a 35mm slide requires).  I
also felt that with a top notch medium format camera, such as a Hasselblad,
and projection lenses, that 35mm could not compete with medium format.  What
would a 4X5 slide be like?!!!!

Another factor is that the best Zeiss glass equals the resolution of the
Leica lenses at their respective best apertures.  My brother tested his 35mm
Summicron-M lens against his 80mm Planar for his Hasselblad, and got
essentially equal results.  They both resolved over 80 l/mm over most of the
field.  Since the Hasselblad negative or slide has to be magnified for only
half that for a Leica, the respective resolution for equal sized prints is
twice as high for the medium format.  Granted, that for prints that are
magnified to an extent that grain is not a factor, one would be hard pressed
to determine the difference between the two.  His larger prints, which are
made with a Leitz Focomat IIC enlarger with Leica Focomat lenses, provide
uncontestable proof that bigger is better.

However, I have not been converted to medium format.  My feeling is that for
my purposes, 35mm is fine, and much less expensive, and medium format is
still a roll film world.  My next step is to 4X5, with which I can shoot
sheet film, Polaroid, and roll film, if I desire, and have all the
advantages of large format photography where grain is not a problem, and I
can use swings and tilts and rises.