Subject: Re: Would you invest in [Leica]?
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:50:13 -0600

The consensus that I've gotten on the matter of whether or not to invest
in Leica is a resounding "No!", at least not now. A reason cited a
number of times had to do with a perception that the company's future
growth potential seemed limited. As a shareholder, I figured I'd be in
the odd position of wanting management to turn Leica into a cash cow,
but as a photographer, maybe moaning over a flood of Leica-branded
"consumer" gear. I really have to wonder how other specialized optical
companies make it: Maybe Al Nagler and company at Televue (telescopes)
do it for love, rather than riches? Whatever the case may be, I hope
someday to be able to afford to invest in such ventures, simply for the
satisfaction of seeing something done really well :-)

But for now, there are things I'd like to get, like a darkroom with a
roof and a few rooms around it. And radiant floor heating: Spending most
of February with cold feet is no fun! I'll see about growing a bit of
money with the help of the Legg Mason Value Trust and Berkshire
Hathaway, and maybe putting just a modest amount of money into something
more speculative, like Red Hat Software or VA Linux Systems. But
overall, I'm not looking to invest in tech stocks, except maybe through
a good mutual fund: 5 years is an eternity in the computer industry, yet
that that has been about the interval that I hang onto funds, and I have
no great urge to be nervously watching over my portfolio, when I should
be out photographing, or watching meteor showers and eclipses!

Jeff