Subject: Would you invest in [Leica]?
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:45:34 -0600

I expect to be investing my money with Warren Buffett & company shortly,
but will likely have a modest amount of leftover cash. Now for you
investment-savvy types, does Leica Camera seem like at least an okay
investment for the next few years? I'm not finding the reports they've
posted a model of candor (certainly no match for Berkshire Hathaway's)
but have deduced that M camera sales are up a bit, R- and Minox sales
are down sharply, that the R-system is a very major source of revenue,
and they've had to sack around 100 of 1,500 employees. Does Leica's new
top management "get it", do they have the means to correct matters
decisively, and might we see some solid performance from Leica Camera in
coming years? Opinions are welcomed!

Jeff

PS: And if the R8 is Leica's new M5 of the '90s, could an R7-2 inject
life back into the company? And are there any hints of such a beast?