Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:26:00 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Look, guys, this thread is interesting enough, but at one time,
first year photo students had knowledge of a few points (yes, Will, a "list"
follows:

1. With 'realworld' films (this qualification necessary for Erwin, etc),
and 'real world' handling (35mm in hand, 4x5 on tripod, 21/4 sometimes either)
virtually ANY 2-1/4 camera will out-do the finest 35mm camera...yes, I mean
a l955 Kodak Tourist, in perfect working order, on a tripod with verichrome
pan film, at f-16, and a hood, will kick your Leica's ass.  Period. (6x9cm negative)

2. Same conditions as above, that old Crown Graphic with it's (clean) Optar,
will generally outdo the Hasselblad, Rollei, etc...

3. The "quality" of a photograph has little to do with it's absolute sharpness,
and of course color rendition/contrast/freedom from flare is TOTALLY subjective...
Give me a Smith/Capa/even HCB(!) anyday over the product of some anal-retentive
"zone-ite" with his goddamn Linhof/Schneider/T-max100/Zone IV/Range-Rover/$2000
VC Head enlarger mounted on the requisite cubic yard of Granite.....

4. There seems to be little knowledge of "the tool for the job" today...hence the
popularity of the "shift" lenses, etc....

Seriously, folks....the next time you run across a vintage "Box"....yashica, kodak,
ciroflex, god-knows-what, buy it....shoot it...at f11 on a tripod...print full frame
on 11x14 paper....compare it to an identical print under identical circumstances
from your latest Leica ASPH-whatever....
The whole reason for using 35mm has been lost in these never-ending "quality"
discussions....

Interesting story....A photographer friend of mine (yeah, he's famous but ya don't
need to know) recently tried to get a "poor" lens for his 4x5.....I suggested a
home-brew single element device, and he bought a bunch of meniscus lenses from
Edmund scientific.....6-8" focal length, used 'em 'wide-open', about f 8 or so...
ya know what? He not only DIDN"T get the effect he wanted, he laughed and said
he could hardly tell the difference in the meniscus and his Schneider!!!

Yes, it's a true story.
Walt