Subject: Re: [Leica] dollar value
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:01:47 -0700

Jim Bauman wrote:

>Regarding Leo's Camera in Vancouver B.C., David Young
><youngs@islandnet.com> wrote:

>>They do tend to price their used stuff rather high, but will readily dicker
>>and will usually sell cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

>Last time I was in B.C. I popped in and they had an M4 in poor looking
>condition for $1995 CDN, about $1350 USD. Prices like that I tend to find a
>wee bit insulting.

- ------

Jim:

Yes, I agree, a more fair price up front would please me more, too.  But
these days, that's not the way they do business.  However, if you want to
buy Leica in Vancouver, they are really the only game in town.  But you've
gotta know they'll deal, and sometimes to a very reasonable price.

For example, about 6 years ago I bought a *very* nice R5 body from Leo's
for less than 2/3 of their C$1550 asking price.

However, a few weeks ago (the day after the Vancouver LugNite) I was in
Leo's, and they had a "demo" R6 for C$2999 (about US$1950)  Way too much!
Even allowing for dickering!

However, fellow LugNut Alex Hurst bought a lightmeter in Leo's that day,
and I believe he dickered to quite a good price.

Some days you win...  some days you don't.

David Young,     | A man who gives in when wrong, is wise.
Victoria, CANADA | A man who gives in when right, is married.