Subject: Re: [Leica] dollar value
From: Jim Bauman <jbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:23:50 -0700

Regarding Leo's Camera in Vancouver B.C., David Young
<youngs@islandnet.com> wrote:

>They do tend to price their used stuff rather high, but will readily dicker
>and will usually sell cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

Last time I was in B.C. I popped in and they had an M4 in poor looking
condition for $1995 CDN, about $1350 USD. Prices like that I tend to find a
wee bit insulting. If they "dicker" than why don't they (and other
establishements with the same policy) just put a fair price on the sticker
and be done with it. They would please more people then they alienate.
But, on the positive side, I bought a 180mm Nikkor there in 1979 for a good
price. They must have changed managers sometime in the last 20 years!

Every now and then you can pick up a camera or lens from a private party
and get a good deal. The weekly Buy and Sell Press is a good source. I once
bought an M4-2, 35mm Summicron, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Summicron, and
auto-winder out of the Buy and Sell for $1600 CDN!!  It was more than a few
years ago, but hey....

Jim Bauman