Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Old Leicas and better than the new "Junk" Cameras
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:20:39 EDT

In a message dated 08/11/1999 5:37:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
msmall@roanoke.infi.net writes:

<< For all of the many reasons pointed out by myself and others for so many
 years >>
Just because something is said over and over does not necessarily make it
true.  I have yet to see any hard evidence that the current M cameras are
better made than the M-3 and M-4 cameras.

I finally bought an M-6 so I could compare it with my M-3's and after five
(5) months put it on the market and sold it.  From that sample, it was clear
Solms did not have a quality control program in place and some of the parts
even looked cheap.  In checking with the mentioned repair person, I learned
my opinion was supported by others.

In the "Leica M Guide" the author states:
"Bucking this trend is the worthwhile but very expensive M6J.  It's a M6 made
to the higher standards of the M3, with a beautiful chrome finish and
engraved top.  Besides its $9,000.00 price tag, perhaps its most noteworthy
feature is its finder. " (Emphasis added.)

So nowadays it costs $9,000.00 to purchase a Leica M camera that is as good
as the M-3's that we bought for $273 in the 59-60 era.  That's really
progress!

Did someone report that Solms stock has hit the skids?  Maybe the investors
are concerned with competition from Japanese camera body manufacturers.

The problem may not be the entire fault of Solms but of the evolution of the
German political state that has to require manufacturing to employ everyone
and fund the huge social programs mandated by the German electorate.  Kind of
like manufacturing something in the US; calculate the manufacturing cost and
then multiply that by a large percentage to satisfy Uncle Sam.

We are probably darn lucky that the people at Solms are innovative enough to
manufacture M cameras to their current standards at the current price.
Craftsmanship is a lost art; just ask those who need tool and diemakers in
this country.