Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Pizza
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 21:47:24 -0700

Alright, alright, another pizza story. . .

In the spring of 1965, my German buddy, Albert and I, met two American boys
at the youth hostel in Parma while driving my 1958 VW bug down the boot of
Italy. One of the boys was from my home town of Beaverton, Oregon; the other
was from the same small town in Illinois where Albert had been an exchange
student the year before. Too much - they exchanged their train tickets for
cash so the four of us could all pile into the bug with enough gas money
between us to get all the way to Naples.

Why Naples? Somebody said it was the birth place of pizza! We were all 18
years old. Mecca, here we come!

After Shakey's original pizza place in Portland, Naples pizza seemed awfully
tame. Besides that, the youth hostel was full - no 35 cent beds to be had
anywhere else in town.  "Where do you wanna' go?" somebody asked. "Paris?"
someone offered. "Why not?", we all piled back into the VW and by midnight
were headed north up the autostrade.

24 hours later, we were enjoying a great tour of Paris, all because of the
disappointment of Naples' pizza! I still have slides of that trip, all taken
with my Leica precursor - a little Dacora 35mm with a fine, sharp lens.

Man, those were the days. . .

Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger