Subject: [Leica] Re: Darkroom to Digital and unrelated matters
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 22:36:05 +1000

Hey guys,

Anybody going to stand up for the darkroom?

I use both.

Digital is very convenient, but you can't match the resolution you get from
a B&W darkroom print with digital.  And you have to put up with those
annoying widely spaced dots which make up the highlights.

Give me the darkroom for a fine print, any day - particularly with the
superb resolution of Leica lens.  Just can't pack into an 8MB file what you
can pack into a 35mm neg taken with a Leica.

And there are things I can do in a darkroom which, as a result of the limits
on the tonal range I can scan and manipulate with Photoshop, that I simply
can't do with digital.

On another topic, Adeal in Australia have just replaced my Leica M6 HM with
a new TTL over the neg scratching problem.  Just thought I'd register my
appreciation for this kind gesture on the LUG.

Cheers
Gareth Jolly
Sydney Australia