Subject: [Leica] Re:Backup camera or more Leica glass?
From: "Mike Quinn" <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 23:41:47 -0700

Joel,
Lets see, you have two bodies and you WONDER whether you need them both?

Of course you don't. Leicas don't really need back-ups since they continue
to work under very adverse conditions. One lens (35-50mm) and one body is
the minimum system. After that, I'd add a 90mm for portraits, subject
isolation, and (relatively) close-ups. After that, a second body is probably
more useful (to me) than more glass.

I once had one M3 body and a few lenses. When I stepped off a rock and fell
30 feet into a crevasse with my leica, I decided it deserved a CLA and sent
it away. After a week I experienced disquieting withdrawel symptoms.  I
coped by going to the local dealer just to look at his leicas. He had lots
of new stuff and two old M3s. I looked, reminded myself that I didn't need
and couldn't afford another body, left, and then quickly slipped back in and
bought the oldest one...

Now I use the second body all the time and never consider it a backup. It
holds another lens, or different film, or film when the other body is empty.

But you already have two bodies and don't feel the same way... How can that
be? Some difference between your two bodies must have made you value the M4
less than another lens. Sell the M4-p! Get the lens. Then buy another M6.