Subject: Re: [Leica] FW: X-ray Film Question
From: Simon Stevens <simon@wizard.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 09:03:48 -0400

Dave Yoder <leica@home.com> Wrote, (with heavy snipping):

Simon,

Nobody suggested photographers should be excempt from searches (not sure
why you picked on the "professional" ones).

Hi David,

Unfortunately I did not save the post from the person who compared
his/her job as a professional photographer, with the need therefore to
protect the film, with the security guards need to protect the aircraft
and its passengers lives. I think the argument was something like "You
wouldn't want me no ask you not to use your wand, so why are you asking
me to not use my lead lined bag?" If my memory of the comment is correct
this argument does ask for special treatment for professional
photographers in a literally life or death matter. Not exemption from
the search, true, but still it would be an exemption from a normal part
of security procedures. That's nice for the professionals, and I'm sure
some amateur would use it if they could.

My concern stems from the fact that apparently all it takes to get some
kind of exemption from security rules is a convincing enough story.
Anyone who travels ought to be concerned about that, whether the
exception made is as minor as a photographer demanding that his property
not be x-rayed, or as major as the guys in Duesseldorf who let me wander
around supposedly secure parts of the airport with the loaded gun.. I am
happy to read these post of people whose pleas were ignored - it sounds
to me like security is doing what we pay them for.

Now as for the police in the U.S. preventing photographic journalists
from doing their legitimate job by preventing them access to press areas
or the like for public events; that is a completely different ball of
wax. Press freedom is vital. As long as we are always careful to strike
the right balance with the rights and safety of the rest of society it
should be respected.

Finally, to all those who had to wade through a page or two of
alphanumeric garbage (on top of my written garbage) after my last post.
Please accept my apologies. Hopefully that won't happen again.

Finally, finally: This has nothing to do with Leica - ooops!

Simon Stevens
Camera Craftsman
(703) 548-7548
http://www.camera-craftsman.com

If you'll read the posts, many are critical of the lax security for
safety reasons, not because it made it hard to get film through (lax
security usually accomplishes the opposite). In fact, we who are
concerned for the safety of our property (film) ASK to be inspected, not
to be waved on through.

Sometimes professional photographers get special access privileges, but
very often not (writing from the U.S). Very often we are expelled from
or restrained in areas that are otherwise open to the public, even
though that's often against the law. I was arrested on the 4th of July
(freedom day!) for photographing cops throwing kids to the ground in
Huntington Beach just 'cause they didn't like what I was doing (press
credentials were clearly displayed). Routinely I'm denied access by the
cops to areas that are expressly accessible by the media according to
California code, and when politely informed of the
particular codes, the cops invariably say it's a gray area or file a
complaint or something like that and ignore the laws.
My point is, I've never known a respectable professional photographer
who thought the rules don't apply to him. In reality, the rules don't
seem to apply to those enforcing them.

Dave Yoder

Simon Stevens wrote:

> Personally as an occasional flier who prefers some assurance of
arriving in ONE piece, rather than several scattered pieces, or alive
but via an unscheduled trip to Tripoli of other sunny locale, I'm quite
happy to let them search as necessary.

> Despite the horror stories presented here, I have experienced some
amazing lack of vigilance. In 1985 (one year after the Brighton Bomb) I
was allowed past the barriers and into Downing street without being
searched where I then stood about 15 feet from the Prime Minister and
took pictures, often digging around inside a rather large camera bag
that really could have held anything (even a Leica).  All it took was a
letter and a phone call to the Press Office. Then as now, incidentally,
I did not have a press pass.

> Even worse, security at Duesseldorf airport in 1994 allowed me to walk
all over their airport, including through the checkpoints with a loaded,
concealed, 9mm pistol. I was carrying the gun as part of my official
duties in the US Army which is why I was there, but the alarming thing
is that they never asked to see my permit or my identification, or even
to look at the weapon - they just took me at my word that it was OK and
official. This is why I'm happy to hear of security guards who actually
do their jobs and who aren't swayed by sob stories of "I'm a
professional photographer so the rules don't apply to me."