Subject: Re: [Leica] FW: X-ray Film Question
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 22:40:25 -0700

Simon,

Nobody suggested photographers should be excempt from searches (not sure why you picked on the "professional" ones). If you'll read the posts, many are critical of the lax security for safety reasons, not because it made it hard to get film through (lax security usually accomplishes the opposite). In fact, we who are concerned for the safety of our property (film) ASK to be inspected, not to be waved on through.

Sometimes professional photographers get special access privileges, but very often not (writing from the U.S). Very often we are expelled from or restrained in areas that are otherwise open to the public, even though that's often against the law. I was arrested on the 4th of July (freedom day!) for photographing cops throwing kids to the ground in Huntington Beach just 'cause they didn't like what I was doing (press credentials were clearly displayed). Routinely I'm denied access by the cops to areas that are expressly accessible by the media according to California code, and when politely informed of the
particular codes, the cops invariably say it's a gray area or file a complaint or something like that and ignore the laws.
My point is, I've never known a respectable professional photographer who thought the rules don't apply to him. In reality, the rules don't seem to apply to those enforcing them.

Dave Yoder