Subject: Re: [Leica] was Italy.now Brits x-raying film..
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 09:03:21 -0700

LAX is certainly not an exception. Once I had some film to hand check but they
were just goofing around behind the machine, playing tag or something like
that, and I easily passed it hand-to-hand around the outside of the frame of
the metal detector.

In Japan I had a different experience that surprised me--returning from a week
covering the Kobe earthquake, there was a media rumor of a bombing threat
against a U.S. airline. The security for American-bound flights at the Osaka
airport was pretty extreme--they pulled up all the seat cushions in the planes,
sniffed them with bomb dogs, and had a long table of inspectors the boarders
had to disclose everything to. They were having old ladies uncap and
demonstrate their lipstick really was lipstick, etc. I had three large bags of
photographic, transmitting and portable lab equipment hanging from me and I
thought I'd be there forever. When I got to the line, they just waved me
through without inspection. I think I was the only one to get on the plane
without every precaution short of a strip-search.

Yoder